Les Hanois Lighthouse is located off the southwestern end of Guernsey. The area is littered with jagged rocks, and the lighthouse is on the largest rock.
During the first half of the 19th century, there had been calls for a lighthouse to be built on the reef, and Trinity House rejected these.
However, by the 1850s century, Trinity House were finally drawing up plans. Work started in 1859 using a design by James Walker. He used John Smeaton’s method of dovetailing the granite blocks together. But at Les Hanois Lighthouse, the blocks were dovetailed vertically and horizontally and cemented in place. Smeaton’s Eddystone Lighthouse had used dovetailing and dowels.
The lighthouse was first lit on 1st December 1862. Its lantern housed a first-order optic manufactured by Chance Brothers of Smethwick. The lantern displayed a red light using a red glass chimney over the wick lamp. This continued until a white light replaced it.
During the Second World War, the Germans occupied Les Hanois Lighthouse, used for solitary confinement.
The lighthouse has seven floors, and the helipad was added in 1979.
The lighthouse was automated in 1996 when the keepers were withdrawn. Before this, the keepers and their families lived a the shore station at Pleinmont Point.
Following automation, the lighthouse was fitted with solar panels. Its character was altered from two flashes every five seconds to two every thirteen seconds.