Alderney Lighthouse

Alderney Quesnard

Alderney Lighthouse is located at Quenard Point on the northeastern side of the island. It is sometimes also called Mannez Lighthouse.

The Alderney Race is a notorious stretch of water between Alderney and Cap de la Hague and has one of the strongest tidal streams in Europe. At high water, the tide races through, and an uneven seabed causes further hazards and turbulent waters.

As a result of this treacherous stretch of water, many ships were wrecked here. The barque Liverpool, carrying 6,000 tons of cargo, was wrecked off the coast on 25th February 1902.

The lighthouse was built in 1912 and has a central black band which acts as a daymark.

Alderney Lighthouse

Alderney Lighthouse was converted to electric operation in 1977. Two keepers’ cottages and buildings are linked to the tower by corridors and, at one time, were used as holiday lets, though they are not currently let.

On 21st June 1940, the lighthouse keepers and their families were taken by boat to Southampton. They collected Sark residents and the Casquets and Les Hanois keepers.

Germans occupied the lighthouse during the Second World War, but the keepers returned following VE Day.

Alderney Lighthouse was automated in October 1997.

The first-order revolving optic was decommissioned in 2016-17 and replaced by four LED lanterns working in pairs. Only one pair operates at a time.

The lighthouse is not currently open to the public.

Established: 1912
Tower Height: 32 metres
Light Character: Fl (4) 15 s
Light Range: 12 miles
Elevation: 37 metres
Automated: 1997