Stroma Lighthouse is located on the northern tip of the island in the Pentland Firth. It was was established in 1896.
The island of Stroma is about 2 miles northwest of John O’Groats, between the northern mainland of Scotland and Orkney. The lighthouse can be seen from Duncansby Head Lighthouse. The Swilkie is a very dangerous tidal whirlpool in the Pentland Firth off the northern point of Stroma.
The light at Stroma Lighthouse initially used petroleum spirit or lythene. A local crofter or fisherman was appointed to refuel every couple of weeks. A paraffin lamp later replaced the lythene lamp.
On 22nd February 1941, the lighthouse buildings were hit by machine gun. Fortunately, no one was injured, and not too much damage was caused.
In 1961 the lighthouse was reclassified as a rock station, and the families moved ashore to Stromness Shore Station when the Auskerry families moved out.
Stroma Lighthouse was converted to electric operation in 1972 when a sealed beam optic was installed. A helicopter landing pad was built near to the station for the relief of keepers.
In 1996, the lighthouse was automated, and the sealed beam lamp array was replaced by a fourth-order optic from Sule Skerry Lighthouse.
In 1901 370 people inhabited the island of Stroma. By the time the lighthouse was automated in 1996, the keepers were the last to leave the island, leaving it uninhabited.