Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse is located two miles to the northeast of Lynmouth on the north coast of Devon.  It is sometimes also referred to as Foreland Point.

Hartland Point and Bull Point Lighthouse marked the southern approaches to the Bristol Channel. In 1900 Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse was established as a further aid to navigation in the Bristol Channel. 

The lighthouse, along with its cottages, is located two-thirds of the way down a high cliff. The tower, cottages and outbuildings are built on terraces carved out of the hillside with a flight of 58 steps to the first level.  As a result, the tower is only 49 feet high and unusually is located below the cottages due to its elevation of 220 feet above high water spring tides.  

The lighthouse was officially opened on 28th September 1900. Initially, it used an oil-powered light and housed a first-order optic manufactured by Chance Brothers. The original lighting apparatus is now located at the nearby Lyn and Exmoor Museum in Lynmouth.

An electric fog signal was built into the tower.  It adjoined the tower on the north side below the lantern, sounding three blasts every 30 seconds. The fog signal has since been discontinued.

The lighthouse was electrified using diesel generators in 1975.  In 1986 it was connected to mains electricity by laying underground cables. The generators were retained to provide emergency power should the mains source fail.

Lynmouth Foreland

Lynmouth Foreland Lighthouse was automated in 1994. Principal Keeper Norman Grindle and Assistant Keepers Leslie Peers and Avery Aish left the station on 2nd November of that year.

A long corridor runs the length of the building, connecting all the rooms. Originally this provided access for the lighthouse keepers, but this was later sealed off.

In February 2022 further modernisation took place when the optic was removed and replaced with an LED lighting system.

Lynmouth Foreland

Countisbury Common is on Devon’s most northerly point, the cliffs here reach 1,000 feet above sea level.  A circular route follows part of the South West Coast Path close to the lighthouse.  It is reasonably challenging, and care must be taken.

Established: 1900
Engineer: Thomas Matthews
Tower Height: 15 metres
Light Character: Fl (4) 15 s
Light Range: 18 miles
Elevation: 67 metres
Automated: 1993