Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse

Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse

Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse is located on Victoria Breakwater at the entrance to Brixham Harbour.

The pretty fishing town of Brixham has one of the largest fishing fleets in the UK and has an outer and inner harbour.

There has been a harbour at Brixham since medieval times. In 1690 King’s Quay was built from the southern side of what is now the inner harbour. The Eastern Quay was completed in 1760.

Brixham Lighthouse

Further protection was needed, and so in February 1837 a Bill for a breakwater was proposed. The new larger Victoria Breakwater was approved and the foundation stone was laid in 1843. However, work stopped when it reached 1,400 feet in length due to a lack of funds. This breakwater was designed by James Meadows Rendel.

A light was erected at the end of the breakwater, but in 1866 the end was damaged in a storm and the beacon was washed away. It is said that local fishermen’s wives lit a bonfire for their husbands’ safe return.

Lighthouse at night

In 1909 the breakwater was extended by 600 feet and in 1912 a further 1000 feet was added. At the end of this new extension, a 20 feet high cast iron white lighthouse was erected.

The main fairway into the harbour is marked by a light on the southern promenade. Entry to the inner harbour is marked by the New Pier head light, a fixed green light on a tripod.

Brixham Breakwater

Brixham Breakwater Lighthouse can easily be accessed by walking along the breakwater, and there is a car park at the landward end.

Within the inner harbour at Brixham is a replica of Sir Francis Drake’s vessel The Golden Hind, which is open to visitors.

Established: 1916
Tower Height: 6 metres
Light Character: Oc R 15 s
Light Range: 6 miles
Elevation: 9 metres