La Corbiere Lighthouse was the first lighthouse in the British Isles built of reinforced concrete. The 62 ft high lighthouse is located at St Brelade on a tidal island linked to the mainland at low water.
The lighthouse was built in 1874 by Imre Bell to the design of Sir John Coode. Construction materials for the tower, buildings and causeway were transported via barge from St Helier. An inclined railway transported the mixed concrete, which was cast on site.
It was first exhibited on 24th April 1874. The lighthouse displays an isophase light with red and white sectors. Originally the lighthouse used paraffin oil with a three-wick burner as its light source.
On 4th September 1939, the light was dimmed and extinguished in June 1940 during the Second World War. It was relit following the War on 19th May 1945.
In 1970 the lighthouse was converted to electricity. The lighthouse keepers were withdrawn, and the station was automated in 1976.
The fog signal used an explosive detonator, replaced in 1933 by a compressed air horn. Following automation, an electric fog signal was installed.
In October 2019, the optic was upgraded, and mercury and asbestos were removed. An LED light was installed, replacing the original lamp.
At the entrance to the causeway is the former lighthouse keepers’ cottage. On the wall is a plaque commemorating Assistant Keeper Peter Edwin Larbalestier. He drowned on 28th May 1946 while trying to rescue a visitor who the incoming tide had cut off.
La Corbiere Lighthouse can be accessed by crossing the causeway at low water. But take care to check the tide times. The walk across the causeway takes around ten minutes, and a warning siren alerts visitors to return to the mainland when the tide returns.
The lighthouse is one of the most photographed landmarks on the island. It appears on the Jersey £5 note and the 20 pence piece.