Cromarty Lighthouse was established in 1846 to guide vessels in from the Moray Firth to the Cromarty Firth.
The lighthouse guards the entrance to the Cromarty Firth on the northeastern tip of the Black Isle. Being a large, safe anchorage, the Firth was an important base for the Royal Navy at Invergordon.
Northern Lighthouse Board Engineer Alan Stevenson visited the village in May 1844. He recorded: “Reached Cromarty at 4 pm where we inspected quarries and decided on location of keepers’ dwelling houses before taking 9 pm coach to Fortrose 8 miles away. Arrived 11 pm.”
Acetylene gas was installed in 1904 to replace paraffin, and it then became a one keeper station.
At the end of George Street is the compound for the lighthouse.
The cottages, engine room and lighthouse were decommissioned in 2006. The University of Aberdeen now owns the buildings. These are the base for the Lighthouse Field Station within the school of Biological Sciences. Their research studies man-made and environmental changes on marine mammals and seabirds, forming part of their conservation and management programme.