Withernsea Lighthouse was established in 1894 and is an octagonal tower, painted white, 127 feet high.
The lighthouse was built to warn of the dangers to vessels travelling down this stretch of coast. Often they were unable to see the lights of Flamborough Head or Spurn Lighthouse, and so Withernea filled the void.
The lighthouse worked with the Humber Lightvessel, helping guide ships along the east coast and Humber estuary.
Its distinctive tower dominates the centre of the town and skyline, located on Hull Road. However, it was originally close to the sand dunes, but as the town developed, the promenade was added to the seafront and houses around it. It was built with some foresight to avoid coastal erosion.
Two large cottages were built adjacent to the tower for the lighthouse keepers and their families.
The light was electrified in 1936, replacing earlier oil lamps. Withernsea was decommissioned on 1st July 1972. For a time, the keepers’ cottages were used as a shore base for lighthouse keepers.
Following decommissioning, the optic was relocated to St Mary’s Lighthouse, Tyneside.
Withernsea Lighthouse was taken over by the Withernsea Lighthouse Trust in 1989 and is now open as a museum.
The visitor centre also has a cafe and museum commemorating the life of comedy actress star Kay Kendall. Kay Kendall lived close to the lighthouse. Her mother was also born in Withernsea, and her father Robert Drewery was involved in digging the lighthouse foundations.
From the top are views across to the Humber Bridge on a clear day.