Symbister Ness Lighthouse is located on the southwestern end of Whalsay to the west of the harbour. It is the second lighthouse to be located here.
The Skate of Marrister is a low-lying flat ledge on the western side of Whalsay about a mile off Symbister Ness. It poses a hazard to shipping on the eastern side of Linga Sound.
The original lighthouse was established in 1904 and designed by David A and Charles Stevenson. The current tower later replaced it. The first lighthouse was relocated and can now be found in a private garden on mainland Shetland near Housetter. It can be seen from the main road.
Symbister is the largest village and port on the island of Whalsay. Many large fishing boats and trawlers are located here, and many of the fishermen and their families live on the island.
The Pier House is now a museum and was once the export centre for dried and salted fish. German traders bought and sold goods from here. The old Hanseatic house was later turned into a museum.
The ferry from Laxo on the Shetland mainland operates regular ferry services to Symbister.
Suther Ness Lighthouse can be found further north on the island.