Point Lynas Lighthouse stands on the headland at Llaneilean, which was an important location for pilotage and signalling
In 1779 the Liverpool Pilotage Service established a combined lighthouse and pilot station in an old farmhouse on the Eilian peninsula. This peninsula was chosen as it would afford some shelter to the pilots as they boarded their cutters to take them out to the larger vessels wishing to approach the city.
The light continued to operate in this way for over 50 years until in 1834 Scottish lighthouse engineer Alan Stevenson suggested to the Liverpool Trustees that the existing farmhouse be demolished and a new 70ft tower be erected.
This extra elevation would allow the light to be seen from all points to seaward. Point Lynas Lighthouse was built on the highest part of the headland, designed by Board Engineer Jesse Hartley.
As the headland was already 127ft above sea level, a tower was not needed to elevate the light, so the lantern was located at ground level. Above this was a pilot lookout.
Castellated walls enclosed the whole site with a gateway in the southern wall. Behind the lighthouse, a large keepers dwelling was constructed with access to the tower.
A line of sight semaphore telegraph system linking Holyhead and Liverpool had been established by the Trustees in 1827. This required nine relay stations between the two ports; one was established on a summit at Llaneilian a mile to the south of the lighthouse. On a clear day, a semaphore message could be passed between the two ports in under two minutes.
In 1879 the lighthouse accommodation was extended when the telegraph at Llaneilian was closed. The signallers were transferred to a new electric telegraph housed at the lighthouse.
In 1973 control of the lighthouse passed from the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board to Trinity House, who also took control of the nearby Great Orme’s Head lighthouse. A new fog signal was installed giving one blast every 45 seconds. This was discontinued in September 2012.
When Point Lynas was fully automated in 1990 the keepers’ dwellings were returned to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, with Trinity House now leasing access to the lamp room and a couple of other ancillary rooms.
The three cottages were sold in 2000, and have since been fully restored.