The Summit Complex building is located at the top of the Great Orme, Llandudno. The site was previously used as a semaphore station forming part of the Holyhead to Liverpool telegraph system.
Between 1810 and 1829 a chain of telegraph signals was established along the North Wales coast from Holyhead. These signal stations relayed information about vessels arriving and departing Liverpool.
The telegraph station was later moved to Great Orme’s Head Lighthouse when it was built in 1862 by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
Following decommissioning of the lighthouse, the optic was removed from the lighthouse. It was moved to Liverpool where it was displayed at the entrance of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board building, now the Port of Liverpool office.
The optic was later returned to Llandudno where it now resides in the Summit Complex. The museum and visitor centre can be reached via a sweeping road round the cliffs, or by funicular railway or cable.
From the summit at 679 feet are far-reaching views reach across to Snowdonia, Cumbria and the Isle of Man on a clear day.