Trwyn Du Lighthouse is located near Puffin Island and marks the channel between the island and Penmon Point.
The route was an important one, used by merchants sailing into and out of Liverpool. But a lighthouse at Penmon was called for following the wreck of the Rothsay Castle in August 1831. The steamer was heading from Liverpool to the Menai Straits and, in poor weather, struck a sandbank off Penmon. Of the 150 passengers on board, only 20 survived.
Trwyn Du Lighthouse was built between 1835-38 and was the first wave-washed tower to be built by Trinity House Engineer James Walker. The design of the black and white tower is distinctive with its stepped base and castellated gallery.
Walker introduced the first primitive toilet facility at the lighthouse, with a drain at the tower’s base. However, it was unsuccessful in rough weather due to seawater surges!
The lighthouse, also known as Penmon or Black Rock, had two lighthouse keepers living in the cottages nearby. When acetylene gas was introduced into Trwyn Du Lighthouse in 1922, it became the first Trinity House lighthouse to be automated. The Trinity House Depot at Holyhead then took over monitoring the lighthouse.
In 1996 an extensive modernisation programme took place, and the lighthouse was converted to solar power.
The former Lighthouse Keepers’ Cottages were sold off in the summer of 1995 after being used previously for long term lets. They are now privately owned.
Just behind the cottages is the Pilot House Cafe.
The fog bell mounted on the gallery struck every sixty seconds. In 2019 Trinity House announced its intention to replace the ageing bell mechanism with a new foghorn, and campaigners opposed the decision. The bell remains mounted on the lighthouse.