There are two notable lighthouses at Peel; the Breakwater and Castle Jetty Lighthouses.
Peel is the main harbour on the Isle of Man’s western coast, partly sheltered by St Patrick’s Island which is dominated by Peel Castle. The River Neb flows out to the harbour.
The pier to the east of the river was washed away twice in the eighteenth century. In 1809 it was lengthened and straightened, and a fixed red light was established at the end of the pier the following year.
In 1861 a new light was established on the pier head. Now a light is shown above the old Harbour Master’s office.
To the west of the inner harbour is Castle Jetty, which juts out alongside Peel Castle. The jetty was built in 1829, although there is no record of a light being established there at the time.
The small lighthouse tower with three green bands was built on the jetty in 1946. The aluminium dome was added later.
Peel Breakwater extends from St Patrick’s Island to the outer harbour. Built in 1856 it was extended in 1896 when the current lighthouse at the end was established. A bell mounted on the lighthouse sounded when vessels were expected in the harbour. The bell was discontinued in the mid-1990s. The gallery was also later removed.
There is also a small light at the end of the groyne extending west from the pier head. In 2005 a light was established on the pumping station roof, forming a transit with the groyne light at sea.