There are two lighthouses at Laxey marking the entrance to the harbour.
Located on the Isle of Man’s east coast, Laxey was originally a small fishing village, but this expanded with Laxey mine’s establishment. The mine thrived until its closure in 1973.
The Laxey Mining Company built a harbour, and a lighthouse was established around 1851 on the old south pier. A new lighthouse was built at the end of Laxey Pier in 1941, painted white with a red band.
A large breakwater was later built on the northern side of the harbour. The Breakwater Lighthouse was built in 1946 and was painted white with a green band.
It is possible to walk to the Breakwater Lighthouse from Laxey Bridge, through the woodland, though it is a steep climb, with lots of steps – but worth the effort!
A more recent addition to the town is the new Laxey Bridge.
The old bridge at Laxey was destroyed during flooding in December 2015 when floodwater from the hillside brought down trees and branches, blocking the bridge. The bridge finally collapsed with a double-decker bus falling into the river.
A new single-span bridge was built between March 2016 and January 2017 and two replica lighthouses were added.