Hoylake High Lighthouse is located on the northwest coast of the Wirral Peninsula. The current tower is the remaining one of a pair of lighthouses built to guide ships into Liverpool.
Four lighthouses were built along the northern coast of Wirral. Two lighthouses were built at Leasowe to guide ships into the Port of Liverpool.
The other two lighthouses were built at Hoylake in 1764, known as the Lake Lights. The Upper Lake Lighthouse, when lined up with the Lower Lighthouse guided vessels into a sheltered area called Hoyle Lake.
The Low Light was originally a wooden tower designed to move with the shifting of the channel. A brick tower later replaced it, near the lifeboat station.
Hoylake Low Light was decommissioned in July 1908 and sold into private ownership. It was later demolished in 1922. There is very little evidence of the lighthouse today, other than a stone gatepost.
Hoylake High Lighthouse was built further inland, along Valencia Road. The 1764 tower was rebuilt in 1865. The brick octagonal tower had two large houses built for the keepers and their families of the High and Low Lighthouses.
Both lighthouses originally used coal for their light source, but catoptric reflectors were later used. Hoylake Lighthouse was the first to be equipped with Hutchinson’s reflectors in 1772. In 1865 both lighthouses were installed with fourth-order optics.
Hoylake High Lighthouse was decommissioned in May 1886 and sold into private ownership in 1909. It remains a private residence.
There is a replica lighthouse tower nearby at the coastal end of Stanley Road, opposite the golf course.