Leasowe Lighthouse is one of a pair of lighthouses that were built to guide ships safely into the Port of Liverpool.
In 1761 an Act of Parliament was passed allowing the Liverpool Docks Trustees to build four lighthouses. Following the Act, in 1763 two lighthouses were built at Leasowe and two at Hoylake. The two lighthouses at Leasowe were known as the Upper Mockbeggar and Lower Mockbeggar Lights, and also as the Sea Lights. When aligned these leading lights guided vessels through the Rock Channel into Liverpool.
In 1769 the Lower Light collapsed, and in 1771 a new lighthouse at Bidston Hill several miles inland on a hill, was built to replace it.
The former High Light then became the new Low Light, aligning with Bidston Lighthouse to guide vessels safely into the Mersey.
Leasowe Lighthouse was the first in Britain made of bricks, using 660,000 handmade bricks. Initially, the lighthouse used coal, which had to be carried up the 149 stairs. But in 1772 oil lamps were installed using a large reflector.
The Leasowe lights, together with the two Hoylake lighthouses marked the safe passage through the Horse Channel.
By the early 1900s, shifting sandbanks had changed the channel so much that the lighthouses were no longer needed. Leasowe Lighthouse was finally decommissioned in July 1908. After this time buoys marked the channel.
Mrs Williams was the last lighthouse keeper, the only known female lighthouse keeper at that time. She kept the lighthouse open as a tearoom in the summer. In 1930 Wallasey Corporation bought the lighthouse, and the building closed following Mrs William’s death in 1935.
The tower later fell into disrepair. But in the 1990s the Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse restored it, together with help from Wirral Borough Council.
It is now open to the public on certain days for guided tours.