Rampside Lighthouse is located on the northern entrance of Morecambe Bay. The tower, located near to the road, overlooks the estuary to Roa Island, Foulney Island and Piel Island, near Barrow-in Furness.
Known locally as The Needle, the tower was built in 1875. It is one of thirteen beacons built to aid navigation of vessels into the port of Barrow-in-Furness. These lights were built between 1850 and 1870. Rampside Lighthouse is the only surviving one of these towers.
The tower is 66 feet high and built of yellow and red bricks.
Rampside has a muddy shingle beach, and at low water, this extends to around two miles seaward. Deep pools have been formed by the fast-flowing tide from this corner of Morecambe Bay.
Roa Island is linked to the mainland by a causeway that takes the road from Rampside. Another spit leads to Foulney Island.
The lighthouse was given a Grade II Listed building status in 1991.
Navigation into Barrow-in-Furness requires careful navigation through the Walney and Piel Channels. Vessels pass Roa and Piel Islands.
Despite being at the entrance to the channel, Isle of Walney Lighthouse guides vessels into Lancaster, rather than into Barrow.
The original range lights have been replaced by other structures. There is a pair of lights at Biggar Sands and at Rampside Sands.
At Haws Point is a pair of pile lights at the southern end of Walney Island.
The original front light was replaced by a modern structure on shingle leading to Foulney Island. Foulney Island Light is managed by Associated British Ports.
This video of Foulney Light gives some great views across the channel.