Located at the entrance to the River Lune, Plover Scar Lighthouse was originally built as a Low Light, working in conjunction with the High Light on the foreshore at Cockersand.
The two lighthouses formed a transit, guiding vessels through a channel into Glasson Dock and the Lancaster Canal.
Also known as Cockersand Abbey Lighthouse, the High Light was built in 1847 to the design of Jesse Hartley, who designed a number of lighthouses for the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board.
The square wooden tower had four single-storey buildings attached to its base, providing accommodation for the Lighthouse Keeper.
Later a stone cottage was built alongside, which still remains.
The Raby family kept both High and Low Lighthouses until 1945 when the Parkinson family took over.
Mrs Parkinson was filmed in 1948 lighting up both Plover Scar and Cockersands Abbey Lighthouse:
The wooden lighthouse was demolished in 1954 after being replaced by a new red-painted tower. The latter was discontinued sometime after the mid-1980s.
Walking out to the lighthouse at low water is possible, but great care is needed, and do watch the tides.