Naze Tower

Naze Tower
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The Naze Tower is a historic landmark on the Naze Peninsula. Trinity House built the tower in 1720 as a daymark, and it was possibly lit at some point. It replaced a previous tower used as a front-range beacon. When lined up with Walton Hall, the tower guided ships through the Goldmer Gap.

The Naze Tower is an octagonal, red brick tower about 28 metres (92 feet) tall. It is constructed in three sections, each narrowing as it nears the top of the building, which has a castellated gallery.

The top was rebuilt and reinforced during the nineteenth century, and the tower’s height was reduced slightly.

It is reported that the Rt Hon Richard Rigby MP, who owned Walton Hall, used the tower to host exclusive tea parties for the wealthy.

During the Napoleonic Wars in the early 1800s, the tower was used as a lookout and signal station.

Naze Tower

The Royal Navy also used it as a signal station in the early 1900s. Signal flags were used to communicate with other signal stations and vessels.

During the First World War, sentry boxes were added on two elevations, which enabled sight of the Orwell estuary.

During the Second World War, radar operators were stationed in the tower, and a Chain Home Low (CHL) Radar Dish was attached to the roof. This was a form of early warning radar.

During the Cold War, between the 1950s and 1960s, the American Air Force used the tower as a communication base.

Communications aerials were installed at the top of the tower between the 1970s and 1980s, and the police, coastguard, and Harwich Haven Port Authority used them.

By 1996, the tower’s structure had gradually declined, and it became listed on the Buildings at Risk register. The current owners purchased it, and in 2004, a complete restoration took place. The tower was opened to the public for the first time.

The tower underwent further restoration between 2015 and 2016.

The tower has 111 steps spiralling up to the rooftop viewing gallery, offering panoramic coastline views. On clear days, visitors can see as far as Kent to the south and Orford Ness to the north, and Sealand is out to sea.

The tower is open to the public, and there is a cafe adjacent to the tower.

Features
Visitor centre
Established: 1721
Tower Height: 26 metres