Harwich High and Low Lighthouses

Harwich High Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Harwich High and Low Lighthouses were built in 1818 to replace two previous towers erected in 1665.

The High Lighthouse on West Street worked with the Low Lighthouse on the Promenade to guide ships into a safe channel.

Harwich High and Low Lighthouses
Harwich High and Low Lighthouses
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Sir William Batten, a principal officer of the Navy Board, built the early Harwich High and Low Lighthouses. Batten had successfully petitioned parliament, and Trinity House had allowed him to build them rather than themselves.

However, the two lights proved ineffective, and in 1816, General Francis Slater was given a new grant to improve them under the supervision of Trinity House. He also had to contribute over half of his profits towards the upkeep of the local street lighting and the church.

Harwich High Lighthouse

The two new towers were built on the original sites, and both lighthouses were converted from coal to Argand oil lamps. Although the new lights were the same height as the old ones, they were realigned slightly to the southwest.

The High Lighthouse is a 70-foot-tall, 9-sided brick tower with a brick chimney extending from its roof. A white light powered by 9 oil burners was initially displayed in a window 40 feet below the top.  

However, in 1822, the lower light was moved up 25 feet further nearer the top, and an additional burner was added, increasing its range.

Harwich Low and High Lighthouse
Harwich Low Lighthouse (foreground) and High Lighthouse to the rear
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The Low Lighthouse is a distinctive octagonal tower with a pagoda. Its light, which displayed three oil burners with reflectors, was later changed from white to red in 1819 to distinguish it from the High Lighthouse.  

Trinity House took over the operation of both lighthouses in 1837 until they were discontinued in 1863. By this time, Landguard Spit had built up, and they were no longer aligned with the channel. The lighthouses were replaced by the Dovercourt Lighthouses and decommissioned.

The Harwich High and Low Lighthouses were sold to Harwich Town Council in 1909, and the High Light was restored in 1974. The National Vintage and Television Trust leased the lighthouse in 1991, opening it up as a museum.

Low Lighthouse
Harwich Low Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Trinity House reclaimed the Low Lighthouse between 1970 and 1974 and used it as a pilot station. Since 1980, the Harwich Society has used it as a maritime museum. The High Lighthouse is also open to the public.

Harwich has several historical and maritime attractions, such as the Redoubt Fort and the Old Lifeboat Museum. LV18 Lightvessel is adjacent to the Ha’penny Pier Visitor Centre and is close to the Trinity House Operations Centre.

Explore the Harwich Trail

High LighthouseEstablished: 1665, Current tower: 1818 Discontinued: 1863 Engineer: John Rennie Tower Height: Light Character: Range: Fog Signal: Elevation: Automated:
Low LighthouseEstablished: 1665, Current tower: 1818 Discontinued: 1863 Engineer: John Rennie Tower Height: Light Character: Range: Fog Signal: Elevation: Automated: