Morecambe Stone Pier Lighthouse

Morecambe Stone Pier
Photo: Ruth Drinkwater

Morecambe Stone Pier Lighthouse stands at the end of the pier, overlooking the vast Morecambe Bay.

The seaside town of Morecambe developed in Victorian times from three small fishing villages. By the nineteenth century, Morecambe had become a thriving port. Its harbour was built in the 1850s for larger ships unable to use Glasson Docks.

The 36-foot-tall octagonal lighthouse, designed by Thomas Stevenson, was built in 1815 on the seaward side of the railway terminus on Morecambe Stone Pier.

Morecambe Stone Pier

The Stone Jetty, which forms part of the harbour, was completed in 1853. It was built by the North Western Railway as a wharf and rail terminal for passengers and freight.

A wooden pier built by the railway existed just east of Stone Jetty with railway lines and dated from 1850. This pier has since been demolished.

The railway, completed in 1861, linked Morecambe to Hest Bank and then to the Lancaster to Carlisle line. This enabled the export of coal to Ireland.

Morecambe Pier

With the development of the port of Heysham in 1904, trade within Morecambe Harbour rapidly declined, and by 1932, the railway yard had closed. The harbour was eventually used for shipbreaking, and one of its casualties was the White Star Liner, SS Majestic.

However, between 1994 and 1995, the Stone Pier was refurbished and partly rebuilt as part of a major redevelopment scheme. The refurbishment formed part of coastal defence work using rock armour. Colourful pavements and art sculptures were also installed.

Morecambe Stone Pier

The lighthouse still shines across the bay and is operated by Lancashire Port Authority.

The former station building next to the lighthouse is now a cafe.

The tides here can move quickly, and care should be taken crossing the sands at low water. Due to the nature of the sands here, the RNLI chose Morecambe for their first active Hovercraft Lifeboat. Just along the promenade is a statue of Eric Morecambe, born here in 1926. He changed his name to Morecambe after his home town.

Features
Cafe
Established: 1815
Tower Height: 8 metres
Light Character: Fl W 5 s
Elevation: 12 metres