Glasson Dock Lighthouse is an unusual building, almost chapel-like in design. The lighthouse was built in 1836 to assist navigation into the dock and Lancaster Canal. It can be found by the lock gates leading into the inner basin of Glasson Dock.
Glasson Dock was once the largest port in the North West of England. Sugar, spices and cotton were imported here, as well as the slave trade.
Glasson Dock was opened in 1787 and completed in 1791. The dock is located at the head of the Lancaster Canal. The Glasson Branch Canal was built between 1823-25, joining the Lancaster canal at Galgate.
Glasson Docks opened following the demise of Lancaster port, as it became more challenging to navigate the River Lune to Lancaster. At one time, up to 25 ships could moor here before navigating the River Lune.
The Lancaster Canal opened in 1826 and distributed cargo into industrial Lancashire. It served the towns of Preston, Lancaster and Kendal.
Today Glasson Dock handles over 150,000 tonnes of cargo a year, now mainly fertiliser and foodstuffs. The dock is connected to the marina by a lock.
The village of Glasson is quiet, but the port is still active. Today leisure craft replaces most of the previous industrial cargo. It is a useful stopping point for boats en route to Scotland or the south coast.
The lighthouse at Glasson Dock has since been discontinued.