The Whitby Harbour Lighthouses are located at the mouth of the River Esk in the fishing town of Whitby, the only deepwater anchorage on the North Yorkshire coast.
Two breakwaters were built each with a lighthouse at the end. The east breakwater lighthouse was built in 1855, and the West Harbour Lighthouse in 1835.
In 1914 the two piers were extended and new lights were established at the far end of each.
West Harbour Lighthouse lighthouse was built in 1835, and the East Harbour Lighthouse in 1855.
The lighthouse is open to the public.
In 1914 the two piers were extended, new beacons were established at the end of each, and the west pier lighthouse shone only when a vessel was expected and when entry into the harbour was safe.