Haulbowline Shore Station is located at Greencastle, near the Carlingford Lough ferry. The row of cottages accommodated the Haulbowline Lighthouse Keepers and their families.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Haulbowline Lighthouse was built in 1824 to replace Cranfield Lighthouse, which was built in 1803. Cranfield Lighthouse was located on the northeastern end of Carlingford Lough and collapsed in the early 1860s. The Cranfield Lighthouse Keepers lived in cottages at Cranfield, overlooking the estuary. Later the Haulbowline Lighthouse keepers and their families also lived in these cottages. They remained here until 1922 when a new shore station was built at Greencastle.
The Cranfield Lighthouse cottages are located at Cranfield Point, south of Cranfield Beach. They can be found at the end of Windmill Road. It is best to park near the Coastguard Lookout and walk to the cottages. It is not possible to access the cottages, which are privately owned.
Close to Haulbowline Lighthouse are two leading lights. These are Haulbowline Range Front at Vidal Bank and Haulbowline Range Rear at Green Island. When aligned, they form leading lights marking the safe channel.
In 1965 Haulbowline Lighthouse was made unwatched and converted to electric operation, and it became the first major Irish offshore lighthouse to be made completely automatic. From then, an Attendant at Greencastle was appointed.
The Carlingford Ferry at Greencastle crosses to Greenore, in the Republic of Ireland. Greenore Lighthouse can be seen in the distance from Greencastle. The ferry does not operate all year round.
Haulbowline Lighthouse is visible from the Shore Station at Greencastle, as are the leading lights. But the best place to view the lighthouse is from Cranfield Beach, where there is a car park.
The Haulbowline Shore Station is at the end of Greencastle Pier Road. Continue past the Carlingford ferry terminal, and the row of distinctive cottages can be found at the end of the road.
Around the back of the cottages is Lightkeepers Garden, which now has a small group of houses, but its name is an obvious clue!