East Usk Lighthouse

East Usk Lighthouse

East Usk Lighthouse is located on the eastern bank of the River Usk where it meets the Severn Estuary. 

The lighthouse was built in 1893 and exhibited in June of that year.  A second light was exhibited at the mouth of the river indicating the channel close to the eastern shore. 

The lighthouse worked in conjunction with West Usk Lighthouse across the estuary. West Usk Lighthouse was decommissioned in the 1920s.

East Usk 1956
East Usk in 1956
John Frost Collection

East Usk Lighthouse was the first in the Trinity House service to use a Dalen Sun Valve. This unit switched the light on in darkness and off automatically during daylight hours.

The 36 feet high steel tower is mounted on six screw-pile legs. The legs had become covered by fly ash tipping from the nearby power station at Uskmouth, but this has since been removed.

The Newport Harbour Commissioners are responsible for its upkeep.

The lighthouse shows a Port Entry Light with occulting red, white and green light sectors that guide vessels into the Newport channel.

The lighthouse is accessible via the Newport Wetlands Nature Reserve which has an interesting visitor centre and cafe.

There are various walks from East Usk along the coastline to Goldcliff.

Established: 1893
Tower Height: 13 metres
Light Character: Fl (2) W R G 10 s
Elevation: 11 metres