Tuskar Rock Lighthouse

Tuskar Rock
Photo © Colin Park (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Tuskar Rock Lighthouse was established in 1815 and stands on the low-lying rock seven miles off the shore and lies directly in the path for vessels entering or leaving Rosslare and Wexford.

George Halpin Senior surveyed the rock in 1811. His proposal was not approved by Trinity House, who had the final sanction on the plans. Following further discussions and compromises, the plans were finally approved. The Waterford Chamber of Commerce belatedly attempted to have a lighthouse built on the Saltee Islands, rather than Tuskar Rock, but this was turned down.

Construction of Tuskar Rock Lighthouse began in 1812. Work was difficult on the wave-washed rock, with the workmen having to work between tides and the weather. During its construction in October 1812, a severe storm hit the coast of Wexford. Ten men and their wooden accommodation were lost when they were washed away. Fourteen of the workmen survived, clinging on to the rocks for two days before they were rescued.

More remarkable is the fact that the surviving men returned to complete their work on the rock after a short period of recovery. Once that was completed, they moved on to Inishtrahull to build the lighthouse there.

Tuskar Rock Lighthouse
Andrewmc, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

Unfortunately, these were not the only fatalities on the island. Two years later, a stone cutter fell from a height and was killed.

Tuskar Rock Lighthouse was finally lit on 4th June 1815. A bell was used for the fog signal, sounding every thirty seconds.

The light has operated continuously apart from one night. In 1821, the cutter Shark was heading for Wexford Port when it spotted the customs officials on patrol. She diverted her course, landing at Tuskar Rock with an unofficial cargo of French brandy and other illegal goods. The skipper persuaded the two lighthouse keepers to hold on to his cargo, promising to return with a gift for them if they remained untouched.

The Shark remained in Wexford for a few days before heading back out to the rock for the contraband. However, on reaching the rock, the skipper noticed that the light was not operating. On entering, he found the two keepers a little more than worse for wear after having imbibed a decent amount of the brandy. They were caught fast asleep and had committed one of the cardinal sins of lighthouse keeping – letting the light go out!

The Principal Keeper, Michael Wisheart, was demoted, and the Assistant Keeper, Charles Hunter, was dismissed from the service. Hunter returned to work as a blacksmith in Halpin’s Pool in Dublin. Wisheart was despatched to Skellig. One day while cutting the grass on Skellig, he fell over the cliff edge and was killed.

Tuskar Rock Lighthouse
Photo © Tom Furlong (cc-by-sa/2.0)

Accommodation for the keepers and their families were built at Ballyhire, between Greenore and Carnsore Point in 1817. This accommodation was sold in 1834, and accommodation on the rock was made ready. The accommodation on the rock was increased in the 1850s and 1860s, but in 1886, four new dwellings were built at Rosslare. The families moved into this accommodation in 1890. They continued to be used by the lighthouse families until 1973, when the Railway Hotel Company bought them.

In 1885, improvements were made to the lantern and balcony, and whilst the work was carried out, a temporary lightvessel was moored just off the rock. The new light was exhibited in November 1885. The new first-order biform lens had a multi-wick lamp. This was replaced by a paraffin vapour burner in 1910, and the lighthouse was electrified in July 1938.

Tuskar Rock was the third lighthouse to be electrified, the first being at Donaghadee and the second at Chaine Tower.

A wireless beacon was established following electrification for use during foggy weather. The beacon was discontinued during the Second World War. In August 1953, the Morse character changed to TR, and five other radio beacon stations were linked, transmitting continuously. A radar beacon was installed in 1969.

In December 1941, a mine struck the rock and exploded.  The lantern had been shattered, and the radio telephone had been damaged, so that their only means of summoning help was by firing the fog signal.  The Rosslare Lifeboat arrived to find the kitchen door had been blown in.

Paddy Scanlon was sadly killed, and William Cahill was injured.  Peter Roddy was the only keeper to have been unhurt.  The keepers were brought ashore, and the light was out for several days.  

In October 1969, helicopter reliefs began for reliefs of the lighthouse keepers, thus eliminating lengthy overdue reliefs. A concrete helipad was built in 1972 at Tuskar Rock, and helicopter reliefs began in January 1975.

The lighthouse was automated on 31st March 1993.

The best way to view the lighthouse is from the Rosslare-Fishguard ferry.

The former Tuskar Rock shore stations can be found at Rosslare and St Helen’s Pier, and the lighthouse can be viewed offshore from the latter.

Established: 4th June 1815
Tower Height: 34 metres
Light Character: Q (2) W 7.5s
Light Range: 24 miles
Elevation: 33 metres
Automated: 31st March 1993