Tayport has three lighthouses; the High and Low Lighthouses and Pile Lighthouse.
Tayport, also known as Ferry-Port on Craig, was once the ferry port for Dundee, but trade declined with the opening of the Tay Railway Bridge.
By the 1840s, a steam ferry operated between Ferry-Port on Craig and Broughty Ferry. In 1851 the Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee Railway acquired the route, and a railway ferry service linked Edinburgh with Aberdeen. This service continued until 1878, when the Tay Rail Bridge opened. The service was short-lived, however when the bridge collapsed the following year. A replacement bridge opened in 1887, and a passenger-only ferry resumed.
In 1966 the Tay Road Bridge opened, connecting the town with Dundee. Tayport Harbour has since developed into a marina for leisure use.
Tayport High Lighthouse, also known as the West Lighthouse, was built in 1823. It worked in conjunction with the Low Lighthouse to guide ships into the River Tay. The tower was extended in height in the 19th century.
The keeper’s cottage was sold privately in 2003 and again in 2007.
Both lighthouses can be accessed by walking from the public car park in Commonty Road, where a footpath leads down to the lighthouses.
Just offshore, overlooking Broughty Ferry is Tayport Pile Lighthouse. It was built between 1845 – 1848. Now in a poor state of repair, this is one of the few remaining pile lighthouses in the UK.
Also referred to as the Larrick Beacon, the lighthouse was built when the Tayport High and Low Lighthouses were deemed to be no longer efficient.
It was discontinued in the 1960s.
The beacon is clearly visible from the town of Tayport.