Roancarrigmore Lighthouse

Roancarrigmore Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Roancarrigmore Lighthouse is located at the Eastern entrance of Castletownbere.  The island, just over a mile offshore, is on the eastern side of Bantry Bay. The lighthouse was established on 1st August 1847 following requests by the Castletown Coast Guard service.  George Halpin was the engineer responsible for the construction.  The short tower was painted white with a black band.

Roancarrig, as it is sometimes also known, is a very low-lying rock. Water can wash right over it during spring tides and southeasterly gales. On one such occasion, the Principal Keeper was trapped inside the tower by a stone thrown through the lantern by the waves.

Dwellings next to the lighthouse originally housed the keepers and their families. In 1896, the keepers were moved to accommodation in Castletownbere. By this time, it was ruled that children should be taught in schools, not out on the rock. In the early 1900s, a shore station was built for the keepers and their families at Castletownbere.

Roancarrig Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The lighthouse was converted to electric operation from a paraffin vapour burner on 23rd September 1975.  After that, the station became unwatched.

Following a review, Roancarrigmore Lighthouse was reclassified as a minor light. As a result, on 30th April 2012, a new generation of stainless steel tower was established alongside the old lighthouse.  The original lighthouse was then decommissioned. Simon Coveney, Minister for Agriculture, Food and Marine, officially lit the new tower for the first time.

New light tower
The new lighthouse
Photo: Patrick tubby

The new 7 metre high tower has an LED light, solar panels and an Automatic Identification System (AIS).

Following the decommissioning, the island, with its lighthouse and cottages, was put up for sale.   It went on sale for 130,000 euros in September 2016.

Lighthouse on island
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The lighthouse can be seen from the road to the east of Castletownbere.  Boat trips around Castletownbere also pass Roancarrigmore Lighthouse.

Landing is not possible as the island is privately owned.

Established: 1847 (Current tower 2012)
Engineer: George Halpin
Tower Height: 7 metres
Light Character: Fl W R 5s
Light Range: White 11 miles, Red 9 miles
Elevation: 13 metres
Automated: 1975