Paull Lighthouse

Paull Lighthouse

Paull Lighthouse was built in 1836 to guide ships from the port of Hull out into the Humber estuary.

The area of Paull is very low lying, located on the northern bank of the River Humber, to the southeast of Hull. The Humber was an important means of transportation for the locals.

The channel is narrow with shifting sandbanks, so navigation is difficult.

In 1836 Trinity House built the lighthouse at Paull. Leaving the port of Hull, ships would steer for Paull then realign towards lights on the southern bank and out into the north sea.

The lighthouse was originally built as a free-standing tower. Cottages already ran along the riverside, and there were cottages on the adjacent road. Further cottages were added later.

The lighthouse was originally powered by oil, then gas, and guided ships into the safe channel when leaving the port of Hull to guide them out to sea.

However, as the sandbanks shifted, the lighthouse was no longer useful and was decommissioned in 1870. The new lighthouses at Thorngumbald Clough replaced it.

The lighthouse was sold privately, and for a while was run as accommodation, although this is no longer available.

Established: 1836
Discontinued: 1870
Tower Height: 14 metres