Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse

Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse is located at the end of the Kinsale Peninsula and guides vessels into Kinsale Harbour.  Behind the tower are the ruins of two previous lighthouses.  The first lighthouse dates back to the 17th century, and the second from the 18th century.

Kinsale harbour is an excellent safe haven for mariners. It was used as a transit port and for trading with English and continental ports. It was also a thriving fishing base. 

The earliest record of a light for Kinsale was exhibited from a window in Charles Fort in the 16th century. By the 17th century, fishing boats were working out of Kinsale, and the port was thriving. However, by the 18th century, trade was in decline due to arguments over fishing rights. 

The first real lighthouse at the Old Head of Kinsale was a cottage with an open coal fire in a chauffeur on its roof. The keeper lived in the cottage with his family. Sir Robert Reading had the franchise to build this and five other lights around the coast. However, the lighthouse ceased operation around 1680-81 and fell into a state of disrepair for the following twenty years.

Old lighthouse cottage
The old lighthouse cottage of 1610
Photo: Patrick Tubby

In 1703, there were calls to reinstate the light.  The cottage and light were restored and were operating again around 1720. The light continued to operate for the following 50-60 years until the fishing trade collapsed again.

By the 19th century, the fishing trade was revived once more. In 1804, Thomas Rogers was instructed to build a temporary lantern with 12 oil lamps to replace the coal-fired beacon. The temporary light continued to operate for another 8 years. In the meantime, the cottage operated for various illicit activities.

By 1812, the Ballast Board had taken over the responsibility of lighthouses from the Revenue Commissioners. They despatched their engineer, George Halpin Snr, to inspect the site. He was appalled at its condition and recommended building a new lighthouse.

Old lighthouse
Remains of the 1814 lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Halpin designed the new tower, which was exhibited on 16th May 1814. The new lantern housed 27 Argand oil lamps, each with a parabolic reflector. 

After only 29 years of operation, the lighthouse was deemed inefficient. The tower was often shrouded in mist and fog, so a new tower was approved in 1846. Halpin was responsible for this design, too, which was built at the end of the promontory. The new tower was painted white with two red bands and was established in 1853.

The 1814 tower was then discontinued, and its height was reduced to avoid any confusion to shipping.  The stones from this tower were used to build the Horse Rock Beacon at Courtmacsherry Bay.

Fog signal
Photo: Patrick Tubby

A fog signal was established at Old Head in 1893. Three cannons sounded twice every 10 minutes, and a third lighthouse keeper was appointed as a fog signalman. In 1895, an additional cottage was built for the extra keeper and his family.

In the early 1900s, the old lantern and granite blocks were replaced by the current iron lantern. On 17th December 1907, the light changed to double flashing using an incandescent paraffin vapour burner. At the same time, a cotton-powder explosive charge sounded twice every six minutes, replacing the fog gun.

In 1934, the fog signal was altered to one sound every five minutes.  However, in 1972, all explosive fog signals were discontinued for security reasons.  A siren was acquired from the discontinued Power Head Fog Signal.

optic
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The optic was converted to electric operation in 1972 with a standby generator in case of mains failure.

Following the discontinuation of the Daunt Lightship in 1974, a radio beacon was transferred to Old Head of Kinsale and Ballycotton Lighthouses. Old Head transmitted the Morse signal OH (___….).

Old Head of Kinsale Lighthouse was automated on 1st April 1987, after which time an Attendant was appointed.

Old Head Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

An Automatic Identification System (AIS) was installed in January 2009.

The lighthouse is not accessible to the public and the golf course is restricted to golf club members.  The lighthouse is usually open twice a year, in May and August when special access is granted to visitors.

The Lusitania Museum and Old Head of Kinsale Signal Tower is a restored viewing point that overlooks the Old Head of Kinsale Headland.

Established: 1665, 1814, Current tower 1853
Engineer: George Halpin
Tower Height: 30 metres
Light Character: Fl (2) W 10 s
Light Range: 20 miles
Elevation: 72 metres
Automated: 1st April 1987