Old Flamborough Lighthouse

Flamborough Old Lighthouse

The Old Flamborough Lighthouse served as a daymark, but there is no evidence of the tower being lit. Sir John Clayton and George Blake established the tower in 1674. It was designed to display a fire on top, but Clayton was unable to raise enough funds to provide the fuel.

The headland was finally lit when the current Flamborough Head Lighthouse came into operation in December 1806.

From around 1840 until the early 1900s the tower was used as a marine telegraph station using semaphore flag signals. Signals would be transmitted along the coast to the next station, which would have been at Bridlington Fort.

The Old Lighthouse became Grade II listed in 1952, and was restored in 1996.

It has 98 steps to the top of the tower.

The tower is now managed by the Friends of the Chalk Tower Flamborough and it is occasionally open to the public.

Flamborough Old Lighthouse
Established: 1674
Engineer: John Clayton
Tower Height: 24 metres