LV50 Lightvessel

Built in 1879, LV50 is one of the last remaining Trinity House wooden lightvessels. She is is 100ft long and 21ft wide.

The lightship was fitted with a single revolving lantern, displaying three quick flashes every minute.  Its elevation 36ft above sea level. Her fog signal was a siren trumpet giving three blasts every two minutes.

Between 1879 – 1886 LV50 was stationed at Sevenstones, between Lands’ End and the Isles of Scilly. From 1891 – 1907 she was stationed at Shambles, off Portland Bill and from 1909 at Outer Gabbard in the North Sea.

LV50 Shambles
Photo courtesy of Friends of LV50

During World War 1, LV50 was in service at the Nore station, at the mouth of the Thames estuary.  She was damaged several times and taken in for repairs.

Between 1929 – 1934 she was sited at Galloper, 30 miles off Felixstowe, before heading to the east coast of the Isle of Wight on the Warner station.

During the Second World War, LV50 was fitted with protection over the deckhouse. In July 1943, she was stationed at Calshot Spit at the southern end of Southampton Water, where she was damaged on several occasions. The following year she was one of the lightvessels guiding the D-Day invasion fleet out of the Solent.

LV50 Calshot Spit
Photo courtesy of Friends of LV50

Whilst on the Calshot Spit station, LV50 was damaged by a tug in June 1951. Shortly afterwards, Trinity House decided to sell her due to her age and condition, and she was moved to Harwich for breaking.

Many of her features were lost when decommissioned.  Her mast remains.  The fog signal, winch and engines were removed when she was sold to a breakers yard.

Photo courtesy of Friends of LV50

The Royal Northumberland Yacht Club then came to her rescue and bought her in 1952. She was subsequently towed to Blyth, renovated and renamed Tyne III, where she remains the clubhouse for the Yacht Club.

Further repairs were carried out to the lightvessel in 2016.

Established: 1879
Discontinued: circa 1951