Littlehampton Lighthouse

Littlehampton Lighthouse

Littlehampton Lighthouse is located on the eastern pier marking the entrance to the River Arun.

Old Quay Wharf was the first wharf built when the development of the port commenced.  Additional wooden wharves were added, and the east pier was built in the 1860s.

In 1848 a light was erected at the start of the east pier.  The light was on top of a 40 feet high white pyramidical tower with a green cupola roof.  This became the rear range light, and a new front range light was added in 1868 at the end of the pier.  The front range light was 26 feet high of a similar design, and the pair became known as the salt and pepper lights.

Littlehampton

The two range lights were demolished in 1940 to avoid use by enemy fighters.  But following the end of the Second World War, they were re-established.  A new pair of lights was built in the same location in 1948. 

The rear range light is 23 feet high, and the lantern is on top of a column with four buttresses.  The light displays sector lights.  A fixed green navigation light later replaced the front range at the end of the pier.

A flashing red light on a metal pole was added to the west pier in 1948.

Littlehampton Pier

The lights are the responsibility of the Littlehampton Harbour Board.  The rear light is accessible on the waterfront by the entrance to the pier.

Established: 1848
Tower Height: 7 metres
Light Character: Oc W 7.5 s
Light Range: 10 miles
Elevation: 9 metres