The distinctive row of dwellings along Breiwick Road in Lerwick was the former lighthouse shore station. The shore station was built for the families of keepers for Out Skerries Lighthouse when they were moved from Grunay in 1950. It comprised a single villa divided into four flats—one for each family and was used for the Out Skerries Lighthouse families until 1972.
After the automation of Out Skerries in 1972, the Lerwick Shore Station was used for some of the Muckle Flugga Lighthouse families. It would have been at about this time that the Flugga keepers changed to one month on, one month off. This would have meant six keepers being attached to the Flugga. There would not have been enough room for all the families at the Shore Station at Burrafirth.
After automation in 1989, the keepers’ accommodation at Bressay was also used as a shore station for some of the Muckle Flugga keepers and their families.
Close by, just around the Knab headland is the minor light at Twageos Point. The coastal walk affords fine views across the water to Bressay.