Hodbarrow Point Lighthouse is located along the sea wall between Haverigg and Millom and replaces an earlier stone lighthouse which can still be found nearby.
Both lighthouses are located on the Duddon estuary and were established to assist navigation for ships exporting ore from Hodbarrow Mine.
The two lighthouses were also known as Haverigg, Hodbarrow Seawall and Millom Breakwater Light.
The original 35 feet high stone tower was built by the Hodbarrow Mining Company in 1866. It was located on the extremity of the mine workings and displayed a fixed white light through a window on its seaward side.
As the workings extended, a breakwater was built by Hodbarrow Mining Company between 1900 and 1905. This sea wall was built across part of the estuary. On its completion, a new cast-iron lighthouse was established halfway along the sea wall. The new lighthouse is located along the breakwater near Haverigg and Millom at the entrance of the River Duddon.
It was first lit in July of that year, replacing the 1866 stone tower near Millom Beach, which was by now further inland. The light originally displayed an occulting light. This was exhibited through an optic and its character was produced through a revolving shutter mechanism.
As the mining trade declined and fell into disrepair, the light was discontinued around 1949. By 1968 the old mines were completely flooded, forming Hodbarrow nature reserve.
In 2003 a local school campaign along with Heritage Lottery funding enabled the restoration of the lighthouse. It was restored as much to its original design as possible. A new lantern was installed and light re-established in 2003.
Both lighthouses can be accessed either from Millom or Haverigg.