The South Pier Lighthouse at Heysham harbour is once thought to have worked as a leading light with another tower nearby at Near Naze.
Just to the north of the port of Heysham in Half Moon Bay, Heysham Head, forms the only sea cliffs on the Lancashire coast. This marks the southern boundary of Morecambe Bay.
The modern port of Heysham developed as a result of increased traffic across the Irish Sea in the nineteenth century.
The Midland Railway Company sought an Act of Parliament in 1896 to build a new port at Heysham along with a connecting railway. The port was chosen for its deepwater facilities, and the harbour with two long breakwaters was opened on 1st September 1904.
The red cast-iron lighthouse on the South Pier was built in 1904 and displays an occulting green light.
The port provides important links with Ireland and the Isle of Man, and took over as the main rival from Barrow, Morecambe and Fleetwood.
With the development of the new port, vessels needed to be guided clear of the Near Naze area in Half Moon Bay. A 30 feet sandstone tower with three floors was built in 1904, known as the Range Rear light. This light was reported to have been replaced a little later by a cast-iron skeleton tower mounted on a stone base. It was discontinued by 1916.
The second light is thought to have operated with the South Pier light as a leading light, but has since been removed, although its base is still evident.
The Naze towers can be found off Shore Road, near the Portway in Heysham.
The South Pier Lighthouse can be seen from the ferry terminal.