The Herring Tower, as it became known, is located near Langness Lighthouse. The tower displayed a fire during the herring fishing season to guide vessels into Derbyhaven.
In 1811 Thomas Brine was commissioned to build two daymarks on the Isle of Man. Two identical castellated stone towers were built, one at Dreswick Point near Langness, the other at Douglas Head.
The Herring Tower is easily accessible from Langness Lighthouse and the nearby car park.