Both the High and Low Lighthouses were built in 1818 to replace two previous towers, which had been erected in 1665.
The 70ft tall High Light, located in West Street, worked in conjunction with the Low Lighthouse to guide ships safely into safe waters.
Trinity House took over the operation of both lighthouses in 1837 until they were discontinued in 1863. They were sold to Harwich Town Council in 1909, and the High Light was restored in 1974.
The National Vintage and Television Trust leased the lighthouse from 1991, opening it up as a museum.