Fleetwood has two lighthouses in the town. Both lighthouses were first lit on 1st December 1840, using the town’s gas supply, and are prominent landmarks.
Fleetwood is located at the northern tip of the Fylde peninsula. The town was the first planned town of the Victorian era, and was initially designed by Sir Peter Hesketh on the land that he owned. Unfortunately Hesketh became bankrupt before its completion. Decimus Burton was commissioned to produce further plans for the town.
Amongst his creations, Burton designed two ornate lighthouses, aided by Captain H M Denham. Fleetwood Pharos Lighthouse stands on an island in the middle of Pharos Street. Built of sandstone, the Upper or High Lighthouse, as it is also known, worked in conjunction with the Front or Low Lighthouse on the seafront. When lined up with the low light it guides ships into the Wyre estuary.
The Fleetwood Pharos, or High Lighthouse was painted red and cream, but this was removed in the 1970s to reveal the original stonework.
Fleetwood Low Lighthouse is also referred to as the Beach Lighthouse or Front Lighthouse. The square tower has a covered seating area, which was designed to provide seating for Victorians walking along the promenade.
The Wyre Lighthouse also marked the entrance to the channel, but there is very little of the structure remaining.
Close to the Golf Course at the other end of the seafront is Rossall Point Observation Tower.