Coquet Lighthouse

Coquet Lighthouse

Coquet Lighthouse was built in 1841. The square tower with castellated design was designed by James Walker.

The first lighthouse keeper was William Darling, elder brother of Grace Darling, who famously helped to rescue survivors at nearby Longstone Lighthouse on the Farne Islands.

Red sectors were added to the lantern in 1854 to warn vessels off Boulmer Rocks to the north and Hauxley Point to the South. A separate sector light was later added from a lower window in the tower.

Coquet Lighthouse was automated in 1990, at which time the original optic was removed and replaced with an array of sealed beam lamps.

Coquet Lighthouse optic
The former Coquet Lighthouse optic, now on display at Souter Lighthouse

The former optic was transported to the Trinity House Museum, the former Trinity House depot in Penzance, but when that closed, it was transferred to Souter Lighthouse, where is it now on display.

Owned by the Duke of Northumberland, Coquet Island is managed by the RSPB as a bird reserve. Breeds include puffins and roseate terns, and wardens live on the island to protect the nesting birds.

It is not possible to land on the island, but boat trips depart from Amble and pass close to the island.

Established: 1841
Engineer: James Walker
Tower Height: 22 metres
Light Character: Fl (3) W R 20 s
Light Range: 25 miles
Elevation: 25 metres