Casquets Lighthouse is located on rocks lying eight miles northwest of Alderney. It is unusual, as there are three towers on the rock, though only one is still operational.
In 1722 shipowners campaigned for a lighthouse to be erected on the rocks, which Thomas Le Cocq owned. Le Cocq obtained a patent from Trinity House in 1723 with a lease for 61 years at a rent of £50 a year.
Casquets Lighthouse was established on 30th October 1724. To make sure that it was not confused with other lights in France and England, three towers were built, forming a triangle. Each tower was 30ft high with glazed lanterns containing coal fires. The three towers were called St Peter, St Thomas and the Dungeon (or Donjon). These were built to make it distinguishable from other lighthouses in the area.
Oil lamps replaced the coal fires in 1770.
In 1785 Le Cocq’s lease expired, and the three Casquets lights reverted to Trinity House ownership. Following the handover, the lights were improved. Argand oil lamps and metal reflectors were installed and came into operation in 1790. In 1818 each tower was fitted with a revolving apparatus.
The lighthouses were badly damaged in a storm In 1823, and the height of the towers was increased in 1854 by 30ft. In 1877 the North West Tower was heightened further, and the other two were discontinued.
Casquets Lighthouse was electrified in 1952. The East Tower housed the fog signal equipment, and a helideck was added to the other tower.
The lighthouse was automated in November 1990.
If sailing to the Channel Islands, you may pass Casquets Lighthouse en route.