Ballinacourty Lighthouse

Ballinacourty Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

Ballinacourty Lighthouse is located at the northern entrance to Dungarvan Bay.

Dungarvan is a sheltered port and provides a safe anchorage.  It was thriving in the early 19th century as shipping increased to and from England and Europe.  At the time, the coast was not lit between Roche’s Point and Hook Head.

View from the lantern

In 1845, merchants and shipowners petitioned for a light to mark the entrance to Dungarvan Bay. There were already daymarks on Brownstown and Newtown Heads, but they were of little help for Dungarvan.  Lights had also been established at Mine Head and Ballycotton in 1851.

Ballinacourty was selected as the most suitable point for a lighthouse.  The tower was designed by George Halpin and built using local limestone.  Its light was first exhibited on 1st July 1858.

Lantern
Photo: Patrick Tubby

The tower is relatively short at 13 metres high, but the surrounding land is low-lying.

The lighthouse was converted to acetylene operation in 1929 when it was also automated.  It was converted to electric operation on 12th February 1964.

Ballinacourty Lighthouse
Photo: Patrick Tubby

There is a car park at Ballincourty Cove.  The lighthouse is adjacent to the Gold Coast Golf Club.  The lighthouse is on private property.

Established: 1st July 1858
Engineer: George Halpin
Tower Height: 13 metres
Light Character: Fl (2) W R G 10 s
Light Range: White 10 miles, Red, Green 8 miles
Elevation: 16 metres
Automated: 1929