The lighthouses of North Wales are listed in geographical order. Also included in the directory are lightvessels and other associated places of interest. The map will provide more photos and information.
Please note that some of these lighthouses offer holiday accommodation, or may be privately owned, so please take care not to trespass or drive on private property. Please refer to the Lighthouse Directory page for more information.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here
North Wales lights
The northern part of Wales is an important shipping route into Liverpool. To announce the arrival of vessels off Holyhead a line of telegraph stations was used to communicate via means of an elaborate flag system. This information was then transmitted along the coast to Liverpool, and messages could be received in minutes.
Along this route, some of the lighthouses formed part of the telegraph system. Keepers were sometimes employed to relay messages, such as at Great Orme and Point Lynas Lighthouses.
The latter lighthouses came under the jurisdiction of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. In 1973 the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board handed over the operation of Great Ormes Head Lighthouse to Trinity House. For a time the magnificent optic from the lighthouse was located in the Harbour Board building in Liverpool, now the Port of Liverpool office. It was later repatriated to Llanduduno where it now resides in the Summit Museum.
Great Ormes Lighthouse, like Point Lynas had its lantern at ground level because of its elevation.
|Garreg Pharos, near Whitford|
|Thought to be a Roman lighthouse.|
|Point of Ayr Lighthouse, Talacre|
|Great Orme’s Head Lighthouse, Llandudno|
|Great Orme’s Summit Complex, Llandudno|
|Great Orme’s Head optic|
|Trwyn Du, Penmon|
|Point Lynas Lighthouse|
|Amlwch Harbour Lighthouse|
|Lighthouse Keeper’s Grave, Amlwch|
|Lighthouse-shaped headstone in Amlwch cemetery dedicated to Thomas Cunningham, who was a lighthouse keeper in Shanghai, China for around 30 years.|
|West Mouse Beacon, off Carmel Head|
|Carmel Head Front and Rear beacons|
|When when aligned with the West Mouse Beacon they mark the dangerous Coal Rock reef|
|In 1836 all lighthouses still in private ownership came under the authority of Trinity House. Located a few miles off Holyhead, Skerries Lighthouse was the last to be purchased by Trinity House. Following a lengthy legal battle, in 1841 Trinity House paid the significant sum of £444,984.|
|Salt Island Lighthouse|
|Holyhead Maritime Museum|
|Former Holyhead Trinity House Depot|
|Holyhead Breakwater Lighthouse|
|Holyhead Breakwater Country Park|
|One of the former fog cannons from North Stack Fog Signal Station. Thrown over the cliffs after being discontinued, and later retrieved by a diver.|
|North Stack Fog Signal Station|
|The fog signal station is now disused, and privately owned.|
|South Stack Lighthouse|
|The lighthouse is located on its own island linked to the mainland by a small bridge. You can walk out to South Stack Lighthouse, which is open to the public. But don’t forget that you have to climb steep steps down to the island and all the way back again!|
|Llanddwyn Island Lighthouse (Twr Mawr)|
|Llanddwyn Island Lighthouse (Twr Bach)|
|Porth y Swnt, Aberdaron|
|St Tudwal’s Lighthouse|
Stay in a lighthouse
Check out Lighthouse Accommodation Britain and Worldwide – the ultimate guide to staying in lighthouses, lightvessels, and related unique places throughout the world.