The lighthouses of North East England are listed in geographical order. Also included are lightvessels and other associated places of interest. The map will provide more photos and information.
Please note that some of these lighthouses offer holiday accommodation, or may be privately owned, so please take care not to trespass or drive on private property. Please refer to the Lighthouse Directory page for more information.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please use the links when making a booking. It will cost you nothing, but will help me to keep the website up and running. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Lights of North East England
The coast of North East England stretches from North Lincolnshire to the Scottish borders, taking in Humberside, Yorkshire and Northumberland.
The Humber estuary is dotted with shifting sands entering into the busy port of Hull, and a number of lightvessels marked these. In Hull you can visit the impressive Maritime Museum which has an impressive display about the history of the lightvessels, and you can visit the former Spurn Lightvessel in the Hull Marina.
On the Spurn peninsula, you can take a guided tour down to Spurn Point to visit and climb the old lighthouse, or you can walk the four miles there and back. The Discovery Centre, run by Yorkshire Wildlife Trust is well worth a visit. The recently repatriated bullseye from the optic can be found on display here.
Further up the coast are the lights of Flamborough and Whitby where you can visit the High Light, the former fog signal station and visit the harbour lights on the pier.
Souter Lighthouse near Sunderland was the first lighthouse purpose designed and built for electric operation in 1871 and is now a visitor centre.
At Whitley Bay, St Mary’s was the last lighthouse to be converted from an oil burning light.
Along the Northumberland coast can be found the beautiful Farne Islands. Well worth a boat trip out to visit Longstone Lighthouse, where famous heroine Grace Darling rescued nine sailors from the SS Forfarshire in 1838 along with her father. She is now immortalised at the Grace Darling Museum in Bamburgh and you can also visit her memorial just across the road from the museum.
North East Lincolnshire
|Killingholme South Low Lighthouse|
|Killingholme High Lighthouse|
|Killingholme North Low Lighthouse|
|Apex (Trent Falls) Lighthouse|
|LV12 Spurn Lightship, Humber Conservancy Board|
|Established: 1927, decommissioned: 1975. LV12 spent most of her working life from 1927 – 1959 on the Humber station, transferring to Middle Humber station from 1939 – 1945, during the Second World War. She was painted red in 1975 and transferred to Bull Shallows.|
In 1983 Hull City Council acquired the vessel for renovation. She was towed to Hull Marina in October 1986 and is now open to the public
|Hull Trinity House|
|Hull Maritime Museum|
|Thorngumbald Clough High Lighthouse|
|Thorngumbald Clough Low Lighthouse|
|Spurn Discovery Centre|
|Visitor centre and cafe. Former bullseye lens from Spurn Point Lighthouse|
|Spurn Point Lighthouse|
|Established in 1895 and decommissioned in 1985, the lighthouse lay derelict for a number of years until it was restored in 2016. The former bullseye from the optic is on display at the Spurn Discovery Centres. Guided tours of the lighthouse are available. If walking to the lighthouse, be sure to check tide times to avoid being cut off.|
The site of the former John Smeaton’s Lighthouse (1767-1895) is located nearby, but not easily visible (see map)
|Spurn Point Low Lighthouse|
|Spurn Point Beacon|
|Discontinued. Visitor centre. The former optic is now located at St Mary’s Lighthouse.|
|Flamborough Head Lighthouse|
|Flamborough Head Old Lighthouse|
|Whitby High Lighthouse|
|Galatea sleeps 5, Vanguard sleeps 5|
|Whitby Old Fog Signal|
|Established: 1902, discontinued: 1987|
In 1856 two lighthouses were built; the High and Low Lighthouses marking Whitby Rock. In 1890 Whitby Low Light was demolished. The character of the High Light was altered and a red sector shone over Whitby Rock.
A fog signal station was built on the site of the former Low Light, divided into two, with the engine room and workshop on one half, and an attendant in the other. The fog signal came into service on 4th January 1902.
It became known as the Hawsker Bull because of the low tone of the powerful siren.
|Whitby East Harbour Lighthouse|
|Whitby Harbour East Pier Extension Lighthouse|
|Whitby West Harbour Lighthouse|
|Open to the public|
|Whitby Harbour West Pier Extension Lighthouse|
|South Gare Lighthouse|
|Hartlepool Maritime Experience|
|Optic from the former Heugh Lighthouse|
|Seaton Carew Old High Lighthouse|
|Located in the Hartlepool Maritime Quarter. Decommissioned in 1892, the lighthouse was formerly located at Seaton Carew, one of a pair of leading lights guiding ships into the River Tees. The lantern was removed and moved to Hartlepool.|
|Pilot Pier Lighthouse|
|The Heugh Lighthouse, Hartlepool|
|Pronounced “Yuff”, the original lighthouse was the first to be powered by natural gas produced from local coal mines. Established in 1847, it displayed a subsidiary red light lower down the tower depending on the state of the tide. It was demolished in 1915 as it obstructed the line of fire from the headland battery. A temporary wooden lattice tower was erected on the Town Moor and the lantern and lens from the lighthouse were relocated to the new tower.|
The current tower replaced the lattice tower in 1927, and the optic from the former light is now on display at the nearby Hartlepool Maritime Experience.
Tyne and Wear
|Roker Pier Lighthouse|
|The pier tunnel and lighthouse are open for guided tours|
|Old South Pier Lighthouse|
|The lighthouse was originally located on the Old South Pier, one of a pair of lighthouses on each of the Old North and South Piers.|
In 1903 an outer harbour was built, protected by a new pair of breakwaters designed by Henry Hay Wake. The lighthouse at the end of Roker Pier was established in 1903, replacing the Old Pier lighthouses.
In 1983 the Old South Pier was shortened, and the lighthouse was moved to its current location in Roker Cliff Park.
|Discontinued in 1988, Souter was the first lighthouse in the world to be designed specifically to use alternating electric current. The lighthouse is open as a visitor centre|
|River Tyne South Pier Lighthouse, South Shields|
|Herd Groyne Lighthouse|
|Trinity House Newcastle|
|Tyne Swing Bridge, Newcastle|
|Old High Lighthouse, North Shields|
|Fish Quay, North Shields, opposite Dockwray Square|
|North Shields Old High Lighthouse|
|Old Low Lighthouse, North Shields|
|Fish Quay, North Shields|
|North Shields Old Low Lighthouse|
|Location of the former Low Lighthouse, close to Fish Quay Low Lighthouse. Now a Heritage Centre|
|River Tyne North Pier Lighthouse, Tynemouth|
|St Mary’s Lighthouse|
|Visitor centre. Accessible at low water. The former optic from Withernsea Lighthouse is on display at the top, and a lightvessel optic is also on display.|
|Blyth East Pier Lighthouse|
|Built in 1879, LV50 is one of the last remaining Trinity House wooden lightvessels.|
Station history: 1879 – 1952: Sevenstones, Shambles, Outer Gabbard, Nore, Galloper, Warner, Calshot Spit.
Whilst stationed at Calshot Spit, she was damaged in June 1951. Shortly afterwards, Trinity House sold her and she was moved to Harwich. She was rescued by the Royal Northumberland Yacht club, renovated and renamed Tyne III, and is now the clubhouse for the RNYC. She is open to the public on certain dates
|Blyth Old High Lighthouse|
|Established in 1788, originally located closer to the water, the lighthouse now stands some 100 yards inland in the middle of a street. The High Light worked in conjunction with Blyth Low Light, which was replaced in 1936. The tower was increased in height in 1888 and 1900 due to the increasing number and height of buildings around it. It was decommissioned in 1985.|
|Amble Harbour Lighthouse|
|Inner Farne Lighthouse|
|Prior Castell’s Tower, Inner Farne|
|The tower had originally been built for Thomas Castell, Prior of Durham Cathedral from 1494 to 1519. It was originally used as monks’ accommodation and later a garrison. By 1637 the tower was derelict, and in the 1670s Captain John Blackett was given permission for a beacon to be established on top of the tower. It was replaced when the current Inner Farne Lighthouse was built. The tower was restored in the 1840s by Archdeacon Charles Thorp. It was used intermittently until the National Trust acquired the island in 1925.|
|Staple Island, Farne Islands|
|Brownsman Island, Farne Islands|
|It was from Longstone Lighthouse that in 1838 Grace Darling and her father William rescued survivors from the SS Forfarshire. Boat trips to the lighthouse are available from Seahouses.|
|Grace Darling Museum, Bamburgh|
|Grace Darling Memorial, Bamburgh|
|Guile Point East and West Beacons|
|Berwick Harbour Lighthouse|
Stay in a lighthouse
Check out Lighthouse Accommodation Britain and Worldwide – the ultimate guide to staying in lighthouses, lightvessels, and related unique places throughout the world.