This was the world’s first screw-pile lighthouse, designed by Irish engineer Alexander Mitchell.
The lighthouse consisted of seven wrought iron piles with screw bases drilled into the sand, supporting a two-storey dwelling and lantern.
It was first lit on 6th June 1840.
The accommodation was destroyed in 1948 after which the light became automated until it was replaced by an automatic buoy in 1979.
The lighthouse has subsequently fallen into disrepair.