What
  • Daymarks
  • Fog signals
  • Lighthouse Service
  • Lighthouses
  • Lightvessels
  • Museums
  • Points of interest
  • Shore stations
Where
Whitby Harbour
Whitby Harbour Lighthouses

The Whitby Harbour Lighthouses are located at the mouth of the River Esk in the fishing town of Whitby, the only deepwater anchorage on the North Yorkshire coast. 

Whitby East Pier

Two breakwaters were built each with a lighthouse at the end.  The east breakwater lighthouse was built in 1855, and the West Harbour Lighthouse in 1835.

Whitby Harbour East Lighthouse
Whitby Harbour East Lighthouse and Pier Extension

In 1914 the two piers were extended and new lights were established at the far end of each.

East Pier Extension
Whitby Harbour East Pier Extension

Whitby Harbour East Lighthouse

  • Established: 1855
  • Height of tower: 13 metres
  • Elevation: 16 metres
  • Character: Fl(2) R 4s
  • Range: 5 miles

Whitby Harbour East Pier Extension

  • Established: 1914
  • Height of tower: 7 metres
  • Elevation: 12 metres
  • Character: Q R
  • Range: 5 miles

Whitby West Pier

West Harbour Lighthouse lighthouse was built in 1835, and the East Harbour Lighthouse in 1855. 

Whitby Harbour West Lighthouse
Whitby Harbour West Pier

The lighthouse is open to the public.

Whitby Harbour
Whitby Harbour East Lighthouse (left) and West Lighthouse (right)

In 1914 the two piers were extended, new beacons were established at the end of each, and the west pier lighthouse shone only when a vessel was expected and when entry into the harbour was safe.

West Pier Extension
Whitby Harbour West Pier Extension

Whitby Harbour West Lighthouse

  • Established: 1831
  • Height of tower: 22 metres
  • Elevation: 24 metres
  • Character: Fl(2) G 4s
  • Range: 5 miles

Whitby Harbour West Pier Extension

  • Established 1914
  • Height of tower: 7 metres
  • Elevation: 12 metres
  • Character: Q G
  • Range: 5 miles