Three lighthouses mark the entrance to Tynemouth and the River Tyne. At South Shields, the River Tyne South Pier Lighthouse and Herd Groyne Lighthouse mark the southern entrance. The River Tyne North Pier Lighthouse marks the northern side.
All three Tynemouth lighthouses are operational and managed by the Port of Tyne authority.
Located on the South Pier at at the entrance to the River Tyne, South Shields.
Both the North and South Shields lighthouses were constructed at South Shields pier block yard and erected on the pier heads in 1895.
Located at the entrance to the River Tyne, South Shields, the distinctive Herd Groyne lighthouse exhibits a directional light showing white, red or green depending on direction.
The Newcastle Trinity House Board built Herd Groyne Lighthouse following plans from the Tyne Improvement Commission. The lighthouse first exhibited a light on 30th October 1882.
The Groyne Pier was built between 1861 and 1867, designed to help the flow of the river, protecting Littlehaven Beach. The name comes from Herd Sands, which was the original name for the stretch of sands now known as Littlehaven.
By 1962 it was in poor condition so a layer of concrete was added around the column to protect it.
Tynemouth Lighthouse is the tallest of the three lighthouses protecting the mouth of the River Tyne.
Tynemouth Pier was completed in 1895, and a lighthouse at the end came into operation in 1896. However, in 1897 the pier was badly damaged in a storm, and the lighthouse was cut off. The pier was rebuilt in 1909 and extends to 899 metres, extending from Tynemouth Priory.
Lighthouse engineer James Walker was the engineer for the North and South Piers