Established in 1803, Trinity Buoy Wharf was the engineering depot and training lighthouse for Trinity House Lighthouse Keepers, although the lighthouse was never used as a navigation aid.
Originally the buoys and seamarks were manufactured and stored on the site. Moored alongside was the Trinity House Yacht which serviced and maintained the buoys.
The first lighthouse was built in 1854. The current tower was built in 1862, to the design of James Douglass.
The Chain and Buoy Store alongside the lighthouse were built to the design of Douglass in 1864. These facilities were used to test lighting equipment and to train lighthouse keepers.
The roof space adjoining the current lighthouse was the workshop for Trinity House Scientific Advisor, Professor Michael Faraday.
In 1869 Trinity House set up an engineering establishment to test and repair new iron buoys. By 1875 the works had extended into the neighbouring property that had previously been the Green’s Shipyard site.
By 1910 around 150 staff were employed at the site.
The depot was responsible for supplying and maintaining navigation buoys and lightships between Southwold and Dungeness.
The depot closed on 3rd December 1988 when the London Docklands Development Corporation purchased the site. Urban Space Management took on the site as a long term lease in the same year.
Trinity Buoy Wharf is now an arts and culture venue and hosts Longplayer, a thousand year long musical composition, which began playing at on 31st December 1999.
Moored alongside is LV95 Lightvessel, a recording studio.