The High and Low lighthouses at Thorngumbald Clough were established in 1870 to Paull Lighthouse, which had been decommissioned because the sandbank channels had shifted.
The lighthouses were designed to work in conjunction with each other. When both lights were aligned, they would guide ships into the deep water channel of the Humber estuary.
The sea defences were realigned in 2003, and it was discussed whether to resite the Thorngumbald Clough lighthouses. However, they remained in their current position on the promontory.
The lighthouses can easily be reached via a short walk from Paull Holme Strays, and inter-tidal nature reserve.