Just across the square from Kings Cross St Pancras Station, a lighthouse sits on top of a building between Pentonville Road and Gray’s Inn Road.
The Lighthouse building, as it is now known, dates back to 1875. Nobody seems quite sure what its purpose was, but the most popular belief is that it was displayed to advertise Netten’s Oyster Bar, which was on the building’s ground floor. Some say the lighthouse was lit when fresh oysters arrived!
The building was restored in 2013 having been on Historic England’s Buildings at Risk Register. By this time the interior had mainly become derelict.
The lighthouse tower was completely renovated and clad with pre-weathered zinc and capped in lead, and the original weather vane reconstructed.